I love potatoes. Any way you make them, I’m more than likely going to love them.
Last month, while we were in the Poconos, I made potatoes like I hadn’t made them in a really long time. Cut up small, lots of spices, and baked until they are crispy. I was reminded of how good they are, so Michael and I vowed to make them again soon.
We had half a bag of potatoes left from the chowder we made a couple of weeks ago, so last night was the night for homemade homefries! We made turkey bacon BLTs, and had these on the side. The nice thing about this “recipe” is that it can be so easily adapted to accommodate individual tastes. There are so many different herbs and spices you can use on potatoes.
Crispy (Baked!) Homefries
- 2-2.5 lbs. potatoes (We used Yukon Gold, but any variety will do. In the Poconos, we used red potatoes, which were equally as good.)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Rinse potatoes and (if desired) peel. Cut potatoes into small chunks. Be sure to cut them all so they are relatively the same size.
3. In large bowl, combine potatoes with the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle liberally with olive oil. Add in garlic powder, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano, and parsley (to taste). With your hands, toss potatoes to coat them with herbs and spices.
4. Pour potatoes onto baking sheet and spread evenly.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crispy, flipping with spatula every 15-20 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on size of potatoes and individual oven. If potatoes do not become crispy on their own, throw them under the broiler for an additional 5 minutes after baking.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.