This afternoon, I went to my mom’s to get a jumpstart on the pies for Thanksgiving. We decided to make two apple, two pumpkin, and two chocolate pudding pies this year. I took on the task of the apple pies, which are the most work–so many apples to peel, core, and slice!
I used Dorie’s All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie recipe as the basis for what I did, but I didn’t follow it exactly. First of all, I was definitely not going to spend the time and effort making homemade crust, so I used a package of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust. Secondly, I didn’t have every ingredient that she included, so I left those out. My version of the recipe is below (and a lot easier, I think!).
Easy Apple Pie
(Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan)
- 1 package Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust (“Unroll & Fill”)
- 4 lbs. (about 6 very large) apples — peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- grated zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon zest, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Toss apples to coat evenly. Let sit for 5 minutes, until juices start to gather in the bottom of the bowl.
2. Unroll one pie crust and press it into a 9″ pie pan (preferably glass).
3. Fill pie crust with apples. Spread evenly.
4. Unroll second pie crust over the top of the apples. With fingers, press together the edges of the bottom and top pie crusts. Form a pattern with your fingers, or use a fork to press ridges into the edges. Cut slits in the top pie crust to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees. Lower heat to 375 degrees, and continue baking for 30-45 more minutes. After about 45 minutes in the oven, if the top crust looks as if it is browning too quickly (especially the edges), cover the pie loosely with a foil tent.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- Tractor ride with Grammy instagram.com/p/ZeDdl3h-_c/ 20 hours ago
- Veggie garden 2013 - Day 1 instagram.com/p/ZdjZjth-28/ 1 day ago
- @merrypad Just now seeing these!! How funny! And cute! 2 days ago
- Best buds instagram.com/p/ZZR80LB-8y/ 2 days ago
- First time with her own ice cream cone instagram.com/p/ZZB4zgB-1R/ 2 days ago