We have been using this recipe for sloppy joes for a few years now. It is a “light” version (thanks to a Cooking Light cookbook), but if you’re expecting it to be like Manwich, it’s not. It’s definitely tasty, though.
Slim Sloppy Joes
(Source: Cooking Light 15-Minute Cookbook)
- 1 lb. ground round (we use 90% lean ground beef)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. unprocessed oat bran
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 (8 oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns, split and toasted
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground round and onion; cook until meat is browned, stirring until meat crumbles. Drain and return to pan.
2. Stir ketchup and next five ingredients into meat mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Spoon mixture evenly over bottom halves of buns; cover with bun tops. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Per Serving: Calories 250; Fat 5.9g (sat 1.9g); Protein 22.0g; Carbohydrate 29.6g; Fiber 4.4g; Cholesterol 43mg; Iron 3.4mg; Sodium 391mg; Calcium 44mg
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- Holiday weekend morning snuggles with my girl instagram.com/p/ZsY85Fh-4r/ 1 day ago
- Haven't seen her hair this curly in forever! instagram.com/p/ZrIlpTh-0g/ 1 day ago
- BFFs wp.me/s2MaZz-bffs 2 days ago
- @minivanmomof3 So glad to "hear" this from you. A good update, even if not a full one. :) Congrats. 5 days ago
- 28 Weeks: Lost Track of Time wp.me/p2MaZz-Dm 5 days ago