We have been using this recipe for sloppy joes for a few years now. It is a “light” version (thanks to a Cooking Light cookbook), but if you’re expecting it to be like Manwich, it’s not. It’s definitely tasty, though.
Slim Sloppy Joes
(Source: Cooking Light 15-Minute Cookbook)
- 1 lb. ground round (we use 90% lean ground beef)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. unprocessed oat bran
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 (8 oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns, split and toasted
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground round and onion; cook until meat is browned, stirring until meat crumbles. Drain and return to pan.
2. Stir ketchup and next five ingredients into meat mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Spoon mixture evenly over bottom halves of buns; cover with bun tops. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Per Serving: Calories 250; Fat 5.9g (sat 1.9g); Protein 22.0g; Carbohydrate 29.6g; Fiber 4.4g; Cholesterol 43mg; Iron 3.4mg; Sodium 391mg; Calcium 44mg
AboutI'm Heather. I'm 31 and have been married to Michael for five years. Together, we have two beautiful little girls we love more than anything, and a miniature dachshund who drives us crazy. I'm a full-time working mom who has very little time for my own "stuff" these days, like home improvement, cooking/baking, cake decorating, and photography. Despite the team not making the playoffs since 1999, I'm STILL a Buffalo Bills fan, which I think speaks to my loyalty AND sense of humor. I can't wait to pick up the pace with travel again some day... you know, when we're done being ruled by tiny fists. Welcome to my blog.
Heather Drive Archives