Yesterday was my boss’s birthday, and since I’m the resident baker around these parts, I volunteered to bring in a treat for everyone. I’ve already confessed my obsession with apples this week, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I wanted to incorporate them somehow. I hadn’t visited Good Things Catered in a while, so I browsed around until I found these. Perfect!
These were a HUGE hit with all of my coworkers. As soon as I took the lid off of them, the room filled with the most wonderful apple and spice aroma. Smells just like fall! :)
(Source: Good Things Catered)
1 c. plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp spiced rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. apple, finely diced (about 1 large apple)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 c. powdered sugar
(I tried to make this glaze recipe twice before realizing that there has to be a missing ingredient. I added about 1/4 cup of milk and whisked it all together, which gave it the consistency of an actual glaze. It worked out well and tasted amazing!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, soda, powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
3. Whisk to combine thoroughly and break up all pieces of the brown sugar.
4. Add milk, oil, rum, and vanilla and stir until just incorporated.
5. Fold in apple until just incorporated.
6. Spoon into fill cupcakes liners about 3/4 way full, dividing evenly among all liners.
7. Bake in oven until cooked through, about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.
8. Meanwhile, make caramel glaze: In small saucepan combine brown sugar and butter over medium low heat.
9. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, stir in powdered sugar (and milk!) and glaze cupcakes before mixture cools.
Makes 12 (I only got 11. Definitely double the recipe if you need more than this!)
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- @minivanmomof3 So glad to "hear" this from you. A good update, even if not a full one. :) Congrats. 1 day ago
- 28 Weeks: Lost Track of Time wp.me/p2MaZz-Dm 1 day ago
- Tractor ride with Grammy instagram.com/p/ZeDdl3h-_c/ 2 days ago
- Veggie garden 2013 - Day 1 instagram.com/p/ZdjZjth-28/ 3 days ago
- @merrypad Just now seeing these!! How funny! And cute! 4 days ago