I have had this recipe bookmarked since last January. I honestly have no idea how I made it through the last three winter months without making this, but it’s a damn shame.
The weather for this weekend was forecasted to be pretty cool, so I thought–what better soup to kick off soup/stew/chowder season? Plus, it’s super easy, so it was perfect to make on a Friday night after work. The whole thing literally came together in 10 minutes. Can’t beat that.
(Source: On My Mind, Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomato sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels (I used a 15 oz. can of corn, also low sodium)
- 1 cup water (I accidentally omitted this with no ill effects)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Mexican cheese, for sprinkling on top
- Dried or fresh cilantro, also for topping
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
2. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.