With the warm weather and the holiday weekend, I figured it was about time we break out the ice cream maker for the season. At first, I planned to make a strawberry sorbet I made last year and loved. But since we’re going to my in-laws’ for a BBQ tomorrow, and they love lemon, I decided to give a strawberry lemon sorbet a try. I’ve had this recipe marked since last summer, so it was about time!
The flavor is a striking balance between sweet and tart, and it’s really refreshing. My only (minor) complaint about it is the consistency–because you puree an ENTIRE lemon as one of the ingredients, the resulting sorbet is a teensy bit pulpy. As someone who cannot stand pulp in orange juice, it’s a little off-putting for me. Still, it’s not enough to keep me from eating it! I would just prefer a smoother consistency.
Strawberries are in season and on sale these days, so it’s a perfect time to buy a ton of strawberries! We’ve been going through at least a couple of pounds a week. I love summer fruit!
Strawberry Lemon Sorbet
(Source: The Way the Cookie Crumbles)
- 1 lemon, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled
- Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- 2 tsp. rum or vodka (to prevent it from freezing too solid!)
1. Place the chopped lemon and sugar in a food processor, and pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Puree the strawberries in a food processor, and add to the lemon mixture, along with the juice of 1 lemon. Taste and add more juice as desired. The lemon flavor should be intense but should not overpower the strawberries. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.
AboutI'm Heather. I'm 31 and have been married to Michael for five years. Together, we have two beautiful little girls we love more than anything, and a miniature dachshund who drives us crazy. I'm a full-time working mom who has very little time for my own "stuff" these days, like home improvement, cooking/baking, cake decorating, and photography. Despite the team not making the playoffs since 1999, I'm STILL a Buffalo Bills fan, which I think speaks to my loyalty AND sense of humor. I can't wait to pick up the pace with travel again some day... you know, when we're done being ruled by tiny fists. Welcome to my blog.
Heather Drive Archives