For about 50 weeks out of the year, fresh blueberries are too expensive for me to consider buying in a grocery store. But there comes a time, every summer, when blueberries suddenly drop in price and you can snatch them up. And then… well, then you have to figure out how you’re going to use up all of those berries.
Yesterday, we spent the entire day tackling a really long “to-do” list I had crafted for us. We spent the biggest chunk of time putting together nursery furniture, and after all that work, we wanted a dinner that required very little effort.
Enter breakfast for dinner.
And given that we had multiple pints of blueberries sitting in the fridge, it just made sense to do blueberry pancakes.
The recipe is from Allrecipes.com, but as always, I adapted it to make more pancakes. Extra pancakes are just too good not to have around! (And I’ll mention again–the best way to reheat leftover pancakes is in the toaster.)
(Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups blueberries (add more or less, depending on preference)
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
2. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture.
3. Mix in the butter and fold in the blueberries. Set aside for one hour (not necessary, but whatever floats your boat!).
4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- Tractor ride with Grammy instagram.com/p/ZeDdl3h-_c/ 14 hours ago
- Veggie garden 2013 - Day 1 instagram.com/p/ZdjZjth-28/ 19 hours ago
- @merrypad Just now seeing these!! How funny! And cute! 2 days ago
- Best buds instagram.com/p/ZZR80LB-8y/ 2 days ago
- First time with her own ice cream cone instagram.com/p/ZZB4zgB-1R/ 2 days ago