I first discovered this Oreo ice cream cake when Michael and I were still in college. I made it for him for his birthday during the first year we were together. Since then, I’ve made it at least another time or two, which is not nearly enough times, frankly.
I was feeling the need to dig this one out of the archives, so I made it to take over to my in-laws’ this weekend.
A layer of crushed Oreos on the bottom makes the “crust,” and a layer of ice cream (in this case, vanilla, but it could easily be jazzed up with a fancier flavor, if you so choose) gives this cold treat its name. Duh. A thin layer of chocolate syrup (could also be substituted by caramel sauce or butterscotch… holy hell that sounds good) separates the ice cream from the Cool Whip, which serves as the topping. Sprinkle some additional crushed Oreos at the finish, and you have yourself an easy, delicious dessert.
Once in the freezer, this has the tendency to disappear VERY quickly. You’ve been warned.
I have no idea where I originally got the recipe, as it was about 8 years ago. But here is a similar one.
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- 2 (8 oz.) containers Cool Whip, softened
- 1 (1/2 gallon) container of vanilla ice cream, softened
- Chocolate syrup
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
1. Crush Oreos. (You can crush them in a bowl or zip-loc bag using your hands or something heavy, or run them through your food processor.) Reserve 1/2 cup Oreo crumbles, and set aside for later. In the bowl of crushed Oreos, add melted butter and mix.
2. Spread Oreo and butter mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13″ pan, pressing firmly to form a crust.
3. Spoon vanilla ice cream on top of Oreo crust, spreading evenly.
4. Drizzle a thin layer of chocolate syrup on top of the ice cream.
5. Spread Cool Whip on top of the cake. Top with reserved Oreo crumbles.
6. Freeze overnight for best results. Remove from the freezer about 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- @minivanmomof3 So glad to "hear" this from you. A good update, even if not a full one. :) Congrats. 4 hours ago
- 28 Weeks: Lost Track of Time wp.me/p2MaZz-Dm 21 hours ago
- Tractor ride with Grammy instagram.com/p/ZeDdl3h-_c/ 2 days ago
- Veggie garden 2013 - Day 1 instagram.com/p/ZdjZjth-28/ 2 days ago
- @merrypad Just now seeing these!! How funny! And cute! 3 days ago