I’ve baked more in the past few weeks than I have in a really, really long time. So here I am, after Christmas, still with a recipe to post! I know it doesn’t do anyone much good now–if you’re anything like me, you’re overloaded on sweets and the last thing you want to see is another cookie. But give it a few weeks, and maybe you’ll be in the mood for a good gingerbread cookie again.
A chewy gingerbread cookie. These were actually my favorite new find this year.
One of the best parts was that I didn’t even have to look for it. This cookie landed
in my lap in the kitchen at work a few weeks ago and one bite into it, I was sold and e-mailing a coworker to share the recipe.
They’re that perfect mix of spicy and sweet that only gingerbread can offer, and the soft, chewy center was what really won me over. I could take or leave crunchy gingersnaps, but these? These are too good to pass by.
Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
1. Stir together the first 6 ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and beat well with a hand mixer.
3. Add dry ingredients to the beaten mixture, beating well. Form small balls (about 1″ or larger if you want bigger cookies) and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 10 minutes until tops of cookies begin to “crinkle”! Check at 8 minutes, and continue baking if necessary.
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- Haven't seen her hair this curly in forever! instagram.com/p/ZrIlpTh-0g/ 6 hours ago
- BFFs wp.me/s2MaZz-bffs 13 hours ago
- @minivanmomof3 So glad to "hear" this from you. A good update, even if not a full one. :) Congrats. 3 days ago
- 28 Weeks: Lost Track of Time wp.me/p2MaZz-Dm 4 days ago
- Tractor ride with Grammy instagram.com/p/ZeDdl3h-_c/ 5 days ago