So Blogger finally pushed me over the edge.
I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’ve been wanting to jump ship to WordPress for a while now. I think I’ve posted about it and/or mentioned it several times over the last year or two. In my mind, there are so many advantages to WordPress over Blogger–like threaded comments, yippee!!–but the real kicker was Blogger’s new user interface.
Because hello, it’s infuriating.
In the past, I was always able to revert back to the old Blogger interface and continue on my merry way. But then they made the switch the new interface permanent and irreversible. I wrote two posts using it and I was ready to throw my computer through a window (and it’s not even its fault–I love you MacBook, I’m sorry).
Anyway, so things are looking a little rough around here. I am trying to figure out how this new thing works, and it is not as easy as I’d hoped it would be. There seem to be a lot of little things about WordPress that I don’t quite understand yet (as far as themes, plugins, layout, etc. are concerned) so truthfully, this transition might take a while.
BUT hopefully none of you will experience any problems accessing the site. I have experienced several random 404 errors (Page not found) when trying to access heatherdriveblog.com from my cell phone, so I’m trying to figure out the cause of that. If you are experiencing the same thing, please let me know.
I’ve done some work in the code so that if you try to go to an old heatherdriveblog.com link (like from Pinterest, or wherever), it should lead you right here to my new home. If you still happen to have bookmarked my REALLY old URL–heatherdrive.blogspot.com, that is–it’ll even bring you here, though the redirect might take an extra few seconds. So you may just want to take a minute to update your bookmark!
If you subscribe to my blog feed through Google Reader or some other reader, double check to make sure new posts are showing up for you there. I did my best to ensure that everyone’s feeds are updated to direct them here but I am not an expert at this stuff, so I just want to make sure I don’t lose any of you in the shuffle.
And, just so no one is fooled into thinking that WordPress is perfect or something, here are some things that are aggravating me thus far:
- When I make changes to my layout/theme, they don’t immediately show up on my blog, despite doing a “hard refresh” in my browser. Annoying.
- I can’t figure out how to add a photo to my “gravatar” for my profile.
- Post thumbnails–Why can’t I figure this out? Mine won’t appear. Is it because my images are all hosted on Flickr, and not within WordPress?
- Speaking of themes, it’s really hard for me to pick one and stick with it since it seems like they all have different functionalities–and that’s something that is definitely different from Blogger. I pick something based on how it looks in the example and then when it is installed it looks a lot different and I can’t seem to figure out how to make it look like I want.
I just hope I can manage to get myself through this sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I hope that you’ll bear with me?
If you have a minute and can leave a quick comment with any issues you are experiencing (linking, feeds, accessing the blog from your phone, or whatever it may be), I would greatly appreciate it. I’ll try to do everything I can to address any problems!
Oh, and in general, what does everyone think of the “preview” type layouts (like this one is set up right now) on the homepage as opposed to having the full posts available for reviewing right away? I think it looks less cluttered and obviously involves less scrolling to get to the last few posts. If I could get the thumbnails to work, I think it would look really nice! But are the “continue reading” links irritating?
If anyone has been through this Blogger => WordPress transition before, or has successfully set up a WordPress.org blog with the themes and all, and wants to drop me a line with some tips or helpful links? Greatly appreciated.
While I’m sifting through code and working with plugins, I hope that you all have fantastic weeks. :)
AboutI'm Heather. I just turned 30. I'm happily married, and mommy to the most beautiful little girl in the world (what, you're saying I could be biased?). Determined DIYer and homeowner. Sarcastic. A perfectionist. A bleeding-heart liberal. Frugal. Loves a little dog way more than many humans. Loves food, hates exercise (it's an ongoing battle). A loyal football fan. I love to laugh. Value family and friends above all else. Vie to be a world traveler.
- Holiday weekend morning snuggles with my girl instagram.com/p/ZsY85Fh-4r/ 6 hours ago
- Haven't seen her hair this curly in forever! instagram.com/p/ZrIlpTh-0g/ 18 hours ago
- BFFs wp.me/s2MaZz-bffs 1 day ago
- @minivanmomof3 So glad to "hear" this from you. A good update, even if not a full one. :) Congrats. 4 days ago
- 28 Weeks: Lost Track of Time wp.me/p2MaZz-Dm 4 days ago